Change your Name in the U.K.

doitlegallyChange of Name Deeds

Change of Name Deed Brighton and Hove

Are you looking to change your name, or correct your name, in the UK? In this post, we will provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to make a Change of Name in the UK.

Changing your name can be a significant life event, whether you are getting married, divorced, correcting an old error, or simply wanting a fresh start. A Change of Name Deed, (often called a Deed Poll), is a legal document that allows you to change your name and provides you with official proof of your new name.

So, let’s get started on your journey to a new identity!

Step 1: Decide on Your New Name

Before you start, take some time to carefully consider the name you want to change to. Make sure that it reflects your true identity and is a name you will be happy with in the long term.

Step 2: Obtain a Change of Name Deed from Do It Legally

Contact us and ask us to prepare a Change of Name Deed. We can arrange the Change of Name Deed quickly and simply in person face-to-face from Brighton and Hove, or remotely anywhere in the U.K.. Our Deeds are prepared by fully qualified lawyers with other 30 years of experience.

Step 3: Sign and Witness the Change of Name Deed

Once we have prepared your Change of Name Deed, if you are using our remote service you will need to sign it in the presence of an independent witness. We will witness it for you if you are you using our face-to-face service. A witness is necessary to show that you have signed the Deed voluntarily.

Step 4: Notify Relevant Authorities and Organisations

Changing your name means you will need to update your personal details with various authorities and organisations. Here are some of the key ones to consider:

  • HM Passport Office: You will need to update your name on your passport.
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA): Contact the DVLA to update your driving license.
  • Banks and Financial Institutions: Notify your bank, credit card companies, and other financial institutions about your name change.
  • Utilities and Service Providers: Inform your utility companies, internet provider, and any other service providers so that they can update your billing details.
  • Employer and Educational Institutions: Notify your employer, college, or university about your name change to ensure your official records are updated.

Step 5: Updating Personal Documents

Finally, you will need to update your other personal documents to reflect your new name.

Congratulations! You will then have successfully completed the process of making a Change of Name Deed in the UK.

This guide is a general overview, and please ask us for advice if you have any specific questions or concerns.

Changing your name is a personal decision that can be both empowering and liberating. Embrace your new identity and enjoy the journey of discovering yourself anew. We offer a Change of Name Deed service with advice and 5 original Deeds for £50. We also offer a full Premium Change of Name Service including 5 original Deeds, advice on contacting agencies and organisations about the change, and a pack of template letters for £75.